Cream the Rabbit Mechanim Test

Amazon Polly audio version of this post

This morning I managed to rig the Cream the Rabbit model I made and import it into Unity 3D to test with the mostly-automagical Mechanim rig/animation suite.

It was actually fairly painless. If you name the bones in your armature the same as they are in the Mechanim dialogue it automatically links everything up!

The only downsides I see, is that there is definitely some tweaking to be done around the weight painting in the model.

When the model initializes, her back juts way out because the arms are somehow linked to the back of her dress.

You can also see both eyes inexplicably bob up and down as she runs. Really strange! She’s also frowning which I believe is related to the default pose as well, despite her not having any bones (armature anchor points) directly related to the mouth.

All in all it seems pretty simple to set up, though.

You can play with a demo of the Cream the Rabbit Mechanim test here.

Happy holidays 2017

Amazon Polly audio version of this post

This year I’ll have a little time next week to myself. Hopefully I can ramp up progress on some personal projects and get some much needed relaxation in as well.

Kanban on GitHub

Amazon Polly audio version of this post

I’ve started to use the kanban board on GitHub and it’s pretty useful!

So far I’ve laid out the tasks I need to complete to get the game logic into a better state for my cutesy version of the royal game of UR.

As I come up with new issues with the game that need to be tackled, I put them on the ToDo list on the left.

As I start a task I drag it to the midddle.

When it’s done, it goes to done. Seems simple, right? Well the visual list of tasks helps to motivate me to complete them, and it’s a format I’m familiar with working on at work. Usually an agile swim lane is used in web development circles but that’s pretty similar, with a column for QA added and maybe some others depending on your needs.

I think I’ll keep using this. It’s worth noting that this feature already existed as a part of GitLab. I run my own instances, but I haven’t used that feature up until now.

Gravity / Bead Sort Demo

Amazon Polly audio version of this post

So I was bored and watching videos, and I discovered these wonderful videos about the sounds of sorting.

I was intrigued by how fast the Gravity sort seemed to be, and others in the comments were as well. It seems to be one of the fastest in the video at about 11 seconds.

Most of the other sorts take 20 seconds or more.

So I wanted to try to implement the sort in C# to see what it can do. The fruits of that labour are here:

https://github.com/eanbowman/GravityBeadSortDemo/

Not as pretty as the colour circle or the other visualizations in the sound of sorting project, but it does the trick.

Maybe some day in the distant future I’ll add visualizations, or you can fork the code and make some for yourself!

The relevant sort code is as follows:

public static void BeadSort(ref int[] data)
{
int i, j, max, sum;
byte[] beads;
for (i = 1, max = data[0]; i < data.Length; ++i) if (data[i] > max)
max = data[i];
beads = new byte[max * data.Length];
for (i = 0; i < data.Length; ++i)
for (j = 0; j < data[i]; ++j)
beads[i * max + j] = 1;
for (j = 0; j < max; ++j)
{
for (sum = i = 0; i < data.Length; ++i)
{
sum += beads[i * max + j];
beads[i * max + j] = 0;
}
for (i = data.Length - sum; i < data.Length; ++i)
beads[i * max + j] = 1;
}
for (i = 0; i < data.Length; ++i)
{
for (j = 0; j < max && Convert.ToBoolean(beads[i * max + j]); ++j);
data[i] = j;
}
}